Thursday, May 30, 2019

Stories and puppets

Wednesday, May 29:  I got to go with Brendan today to his sessions. I have to tell you that this was directly of the Lord! And I am SO thankful to Him because of this. You see, I've been SO worried about dear Brendan ... he's been struggling and hasn't seemed as happy as he used to be ... nervous and uncertain instead of like he was before--confident and easy!

I got to be in his speech session and they played a game called "Guess Who?" It was SO interesting to watch Brendan play this game! I loved it so much and it was very encouraging to me to see how his mind works. Also, I noted how POSITIVE and ENCOURAGING the words were that his therapist used, and how REAL she was with him. 

When we got home to my house, we ate our dinner. I finished eating before Brendan did, so I read a book to him, "The Aunt and the Elephant" by Bill Peet. I'd forgotten what a delightful story this is! And Brendan super loved it!
After we ate, Brendan requested that I get out the puppet theatre. He had some story ideas that he wanted to act out! YES! I told him I would quickly clean up our meal and then I would join him. 
 He set the whole thing up ... well ... I did add the instruments for his orchestra pit to make it a bit more authentic. But then ... the stories began!
 Brendan fashioned his after the premise that the puppets were in trouble and no one was being very helpful (just like in the Ant and the Elephant), but Brendan's stories had different twists and turns.

 He enjoyed himself hugely. He asked me to do a few stories too--so I did! We cracked up laughing, relaxed, and had so much fun.
 This went on for about an hour ... until we had to tackle some of Brendan's homework--but that went better this week too! I think it helped to play for a good long time first!
I love this dear grandson so much. He is such a treasure ... pure GOLD.

No comments: