Tuesday, May 21, 2019

My Jesse

Friday, May 17:  39 years ago my Jesse was born at 8:17 a.m. over at Saint Mary's Hospital. It was a momentous day because ... I had never given birth before, we did not know whether we had a son or a daughter, and I had never taken care of a baby before in my life--not even to change a diaper! Yikes.

I remember Dr. Bennett asking me if I wanted to "help" pull Jesse out ... I had pushed twice, Jesse's head was visible, and Dr. Bennett sat me up and I extended my arms to this little person and gently pulled him out and up to my chest. I was overwhelmed at his preciousness ... his fresh smell ... his amazing reality. I did not allow the nurses to take Jesse from me the entire time we were at the hospital--which back in those days (39 years ago), we ladies got to stay in the hospital for 3 or 4 days and be waited on like queens! I kept Jesse all tucked into my nightgown so that they could not take him to the nursery. No way, Jose' ... you are NOT removing this long-awaited child!
These two pictures (above and below) are last Veteran's Day downtown at the Memorial (newly renovated). I can't remember a time that I felt closer to you, Jesse ... at least not in many, many years. I loved being with you and standing next to you at the parade. I am super proud of you, Jesse.
 I made a card for Jesse this year from my orchard pictures at Robinettes. The verses from Acts 17 were also on Jesse's birth announcement that I did in calligraphy--back when I was artistic. I love knowing, not guessing but truly KNOWING, that we are children of our Awesome God. He made us! We are HIS!


 I know that you have been in a hard place, Jesse, throughout your entire life it seems--some of it because of poor choices I made and the consequences you were subjected to. I have apologized, but hope you can forgive me. Regret is a terrible thing. Thankfully in heaven, there will not be bad memories and TODAY I know that our sins have been forgiven and carried away from us by the blood of our Savior.

Praying for a good year ahead for you, dear son. Praying God will make His way known to you. Asking Him to draw you near and speak love to your heart, to give you strength to carry on. I love you, Jesse. Happy Birthday.

No comments: