Friday, May 24, 2019

Wednesday's doings

Wednesday, May 22:  Since Brendan did not have any after school appointments today, I was able to pick him up right at 3:00 from his school and drive over to my place. Even on the best of traffic days, this is a 40-minute drive. Brendan sang me songs from The Lego Movie 2 and wondered if I could download those songs with an "APP", put them on my phone, and then play them on my car radio.

Hmm ... I told Brendan that I am a grandma that is not very good at "apps." I told him that I usually need a LOT of help in order to do technical stuff. He was disappointed, so I tried to explain to him how OLD I am and how OLD LADIES certainly can't be expected to keep up all of the stuff going on out there in cyberspace. He was not satisfied with my explanation. Sigh. I love this little child so much.
 When we got to my house, we ate a bunch of french toast and then Brendan had THREE bowls of cereal! We played LEGOs for a little while, but then we had to start on his school work. My heart has been sad for Brendan these past months. School has been a struggle this year. I think all of the changes Brendan has experienced has a lot to do with that. Brendan was an only child for five years. THEN Aidan was joyously born and Brendan was thrilled to be a big brother! But the next year, Erin was born and Brendan became (what he calls) a DOUBLE brother. He has not liked this experience. It's not that he doesn't like being a brother, it's that two babies in a row was a bit much. I remind myself that God is in control of our families, the births of our babies and grand-babies, etc. God loves Brendan and his family far more than what I can understand. I simply have to TRUST that God will help Brendan with these struggles. He is also adjusting to wearing glasses and seeing the world differently--that's a huge change too.
 We did find time to play to build a fort and play a few games. Summer is just a few weeks away now. I'm trying to figure out what the summer will look like for each of my grandchildren. It's been so scheduled during the school year, and very predictable (being somewhat of a control-freak, I have liked this) ... but the summer months will change a lot of that 1-on-1 I have with Aidan on Monday, Brendan on Wednesday, and Kaity on Thursday! We'll all have to figure it out together. 
Help me to remember, Lord, that I am here to SERVE my family ... not the other way around! Please help me be flexible with my time and help me to think of ways to demonstrate Your love to these dear kids.

No comments: