Sunday, August 22, 2021

August 21 Mill Creek at dawn

Saturday morning: Emma suggested that we get up super early this morning, a tiny bit before sunrise, and take a walk by Mill Creek and take a few pictures--hopefully of deer. She suggested we walk the train tracks to a little clearing in the woods where she has seen deer before. 

We left the house somewhere around 6AM and took the 10 minute drive over to Mill Creek. We walked the tracks for a little while, but when we arrived at the clearing, we realized we were on the wrong side of the creek. There used to be a pathway just a little ways from where Emma is standing (below), just ahead of the tracks that led through the woods to another smaller bridge that crosses the creek--but things are so overgrown now with it being the end of summer, we couldn't find the path. 
We turned ourselves around and headed back to where we KNEW there was a path, walked along it while taking pictures ... it was super quiet, a little misty, and perfectly beautiful.
Emma was trying out her Canon for the first time ...



Back in these woods is where we did Emma's graduation picture photo shoot last fall. It's really a magical little woods and I really love it here.

I was messing around with my OWN Canon the other night when Emma was putting her lens on her camera and reading up on it a little bit. I discovered that my ZOOM lens (contained right in the camera) does a much better job than I had previously known! I'm a moron with technology ... but I thought I'd try using my zoom on this little rapid place ...

Look how close I was able to get! I'm so glad to find this out about my camera; I mean, I've only owned it now for FOUR years ... yikes.



Look at these crazy roots ...

When we walked into this misty clearing, we saw ONE deer sneaking out from the woods at the far end--but it darted back in as soon as he/she saw us. We basically only saw it's white tail bounding back to the trees. That was the one and only deer that I saw. I think Emma said she saw three others very briefly--but not in this spot.
I would like this bridge a ton more if it wasn't painted ... YELLOW. Why on earth did anyone paint it yellow? Emma says it is because green and gold/yellow is the school colors for the high school ... and since this is within walking distance from the school, they painted it to match.
I think the picture below is the prettiest one I was able to take. Such peacefulness.

Do you see the little hill on the far side of the bridge? If you walk up that hill, there is a path I have never taken--and I have walked these woods a LOT. So we went down that little pathway ...
... to this spot. It's lovely, isn't it?




I took about 90 pictures this morning, but these are the best of them. I don't photograph well in partial light and I did tinker with these a little bit on my editing program--I like them very much. It was very special to be out this time of day with Emma, just wandering the woods, drinking up the beauty, and enjoying her company.
 

No comments: