Wednesday, August 4, 2021

July 31 - August 1 with Emma

Saturday Night/Sunday:   I drove home from the reunion in Detroit, unloaded my stuff (and Matey-bird) and then went to pick up Emma for the night. We just casually hung out around here, catching up with what had happened during our week, and then retired by about 10:30. I slept like a rock.

This morning was our first Sunday to volunteer in children's ministry for CalvaryKids. Emma and I have been assigned to "The Bears"-- the 3's and 4's -- so we attended first service. This means we have an early get-up time and staying up late on Saturday night isn't really a good option for us anymore. That's okay! 

We walked into our assigned classroom--we were early--and eventually ended up with 16 kids! These are the names that I remember: Haven, Marlowe, Naomi, Noa, Ayilah, Josh, Keegan, Teddy, Levi and others whose names I forget. We also had a "late" arrival--Isabel--who cried when her mom left and would NOT interact with anyone until near the end of our time together. Emma and I watched over Isabel and made sure she wasn't alone. It was a busy time! Keegan was a real handful--delightful, but ... wow! Danny was the leader, and another volunteer, Eliot, was called in to help us because the student/teacher ratio was "off". Eliot was probably somewhere near the age of 22 to 24, tall, very good with kids, quite nice looking--and I immediately thanked the Lord when I saw he wasn't wearing a ring. No, no, no! PLEASE do not misinterpret this! I was just happy to have Emma observe a Christian single guy who was kind, volunteering, and positive. I promise I won't mention his name again.

We came home from church exhausted! We ate lunch and took naps! Afterwards, we watched the first movie in the Harry Potter book, "Deathly Hallows". Ouch. How did the author ever dream up stuff this DARK? It makes me so thankful for Jesus.

Update on housing for Emma: Zero. No bites. No further word from any of our contacts. So ... we'll keep praying and looking and expecting the Lord to provide in His time and in His way.

No comments: