Sunday, August 22, 2021

August 21 To the Lake with Emma and KT

Saturday Evening:  Emma and I picked Kaity up from Jesse at about 2:45 this afternoon, hoping to take her over to Richmond Pool for one last swim of the summer--the pool's last day open is TODAY, and then it closes for the season. We arrived over at Richmond at about 3PM, to a very long waiting line--the pool was at it's 300 person capacity. We waited for perhaps 10 minutes, but no one was exiting the pool, so no one else could be admitted--and there were probably 30 people in front of us in line.

SO ... what was Plan B? Emma and KT suggested we try the small lake at Versluis Park that is 5 minutes from my house. Good idea! We were going to drive to my house first, eat a meal, and then go swimming. I suggested that we drive by the park on the way to my house (since it is not out of the way at all) just to double check if the park was still open. IT WAS NOT. You see, there is a tri-athalon scheduled down M-44 tomorrow and they already had all of the lanes marked and were setting up booths right inside Versluis Park next to a sign that read: "Park Closed." Pooh.

As we were driving away from that spot, Kaity said to me: "What about that other lake, Grandma?" I asked her WHAT other lake? "The one with the big waves!" Ah ... Lake Michigan! Here's the deal: Kaity has told me all summer that the drive out to Lake Michigan is TOO long and boring--so that is why we have found local swimming places instead. But, hey! I was totally "up" for Plan C. We ate a meal at my house, packed up the car and headed over to Pere Marquette Park, about a 50 minute drive from my house. Both girls slept all the way there, and I listened to beautiful music while I was driving ... and talking to God about a bunch of sad stuff.

We parked our car as close to the lake as we could ... and only had to walk a short distance before we could jump in. It took me awhile, but I finally got in and got used to the water. It wasn't really THAT cold--it's just that my body really hates cold temperatures.




We swam for quite awhile. The waves were just right. I had brought swimming boards for the girls and they used them for a long time. 
There is nothing quite Lake Michigan (in my estimation at least). I love everything about it and I am so thankful it is as close to me as it is.
Thank you, Lord. This was a small break from all of the sadness we experienced throughout this week in so many different areas. 

No comments: