Thursday, September 6, 2018

Hilarious Aidan Paul ...

Wednesday, September 5:  Dylan and Kelly had a school open house tonight over at Trinitas, so I was asked to come over and look after Aidan and Brendan. Baby Erin was going with her parents over to the school. So far, I have only taken care of the three of them together just once--Aidan and Brendan never even knew I was there because they were already soundly sleeping.

But back to today ... I only had my phone with me, instead of my camera, so I just took very few pictures. I couldn't resist, though, when Aidan started with his high-chair antics. This child kills me.
Aidan had been a little bit fussy, as it was near bedtime, so Kelly had said he might be hungry by then and want something in his tummy--she suggested the leftover rice. So, I plopped King George here in his chair and set out to heat up his rice. He was very amused with my kitchen dancing (but then, it does not take much to amuse this darling child) while the microwave was doing its work. 
I set his warmed up rice on his tray in front of him, not quite knowing what would happen next. Aidan is very good at using his utencils properly and enjoys feeding himself ... so I just didn't expect him to put his spoon way deep into the bowl and then fling out the rice ... E-V-E-R-Y-W-H-E-R-E. I raised my eyebrows and said, "Yuck!" So perhaps it was the combination of my face and the word, "Yuck" that did this child in ... he belly laughed so outrageously, I thought he would manage to topple his little chair over. I, naturally, tried to suppress my laughter by turning by back and covering my mouth, and eventually jumping up and down to keep it inside ... all for naught--I burst right out laughing, and then we had our laugh together. 
I retrieved the "weapons" (spoon and bowl) AFTER he had performed this act a second time ... and all the while I was cleaning up the pitched rice (saying "yuck" under my breath), this little person laughed hysterically. Oh.my.word.  What ARE we going to do with this darling boy?!?!?!

Now, before you think I am NEVER EVER posting a picture of baby Erin, here is the only one that even half way turned out! Dylan and Kelly returned home after I had put the boys to bed (that's a good story too ... I'll have to tell it!), and little Erin was all smiles. She has a very nice smile, this l'il darlin girl. BUT I was too late to catch it with my camera phone ... plus, she did not like the flash one single bit. But look at her! We think her BLUE eyes will stay blue! That would be nice, since it will be the ONLY physical attribute she will be able to attribute to our side of the family!

SO BACK TO BEDTIME:   First of all, I need to give you some background on this one. Quite a few weeks ago, I became aware that Brendan was being disobedient at bedtime (i.e. not staying in bed, even after repeated warnings), and so night-time was becoming rather negative. Dylan was especially struggling with feelings of frustration and much fatigue. In fact, Brendan had to be punished for his repeated disobedience; hence, no "screen time" the next day following his infraction. But even this (and Brendan is pretty BIG into his screen time at certain periods of the day) wasn't really changing the behavior. 

My heart was super hurting for both Brendan AND Dylan (and Kelly too, because she is such a dear). So a few nights in a row I knelt on my prayer pillow and really begged the Lord to help this little family with night-time stuff. I specifically asked that Brendan would OBEY, that Dylan would be PATIENT, and that Kelly would be WISE ... in that order I think. 

About a week ago, I heard that Dylan and Kelly were trying something "new" at bedtime. You see, the boys have bunk beds, full sized ones, and so they started putting the boys to bed at the same time each night (7:30 pm), doing a little routine with them (brushing teeth, etc) and saying their prayers. They said Aidan would fuss a little bit, and they could hear Brendan talking to Aidan for a little while, and then ... sleep! YES! So I credit the Lord with this whole process, because my prayer was quite anguished--I love these guys so much. Thank you, Lord, for helping everyone do what pleases You (because that's what matters).

PS  Aidan has since figured out that he can wiggle his little (adorable, kissable) body out of his bottom bunk--so even last night I had to go in there and re-direct his body back into bed (with a ton of hugs first). 

PPS  I think Brendan felt left out being put to bed while Aidan was still up enjoying the family. AND I think Aidan felt left out too, because he is super social, adores Brendan, and just wants to be with him. So it's a win/win!

No comments: