Thursday, December 5, 2019

Seven and Five Sixths!

Wednesday, December 4:  On our drive to my house today, I was telling Brendan that as of yesterday, he was now officially SEVEN AND FIVE SIXTHS! Since fractions are not yet in his math repetoire, he looked a bit confused. I explained and he was very pleased. Brendan read me "Pigeon Wants a Puppy!" as we drove along. Plus, we had the nicest talk about stuff in general. I never begrudge a car-ride with Brendan. He talks about the most interesting things. 
 Brendan is very enthused about playing with Matey-Bird and has become as unrelenting as Kaity is with him. Matey responds quite well to the children and warms right up to all of them. I'm so glad, because they get such joy from this little pet. I think Matey's heart is made happy by their visits too.
 Brendan is all about MAKING STUFF. He is constantly folding, cutting, taping, gluing ... something. Thankfully, I have a ton of origami paper around here. Brendan likes a real challenge and doesn't give up easily.

 We folded up one of these giant origami, multi-part snowflakes for Brendan to take home.
 Here's Matey doing his thing with Brendan.

 Matey even gave Brendan a little kiss on his nose! 
 While we ate our dinner, we read two more books:  "Rhinos Don't Eat Pancakes" by Anna Kemp (illustrated by Sara Ogilvie), and "The Loopy Coop Hens" by Janet Morgan Stoeke. Very fun books. Brendan notices everything in an illustration, points them out to me, and then we talk it over. I love this child so much.

Here is Brendan sounding out "Hedwig's Theme"  (John Williams) on my piano last night. He got it too! If you've ever heard it, you'll know it is NOT an easy tune--lots and lots of minors and accidentals, kind of dissonant even. But after a few tries, Brendan nailed it. He has a very good ear for music and a very nice singing voice (his perfect pitch helps a lot).

We had the nicest few hours together. I'm so thankful for Wednesdays ... one of my very favorite days of the week!

No comments: