Wednesday, June 30, 2021

June 29 with these two kiddos

Tuesday:  Dylan, Kelly, Brendan and Callaghan took a trip down near the Detroit area for an optical appointment for Brendan today--so once again, I was only having Aidan and Erin for the day. About an hour before I was ready to pick up those two, I received a text from Jen (their nanny) stating that she had found a "tick" behind Aidan's ear and ... did I know anything about safely removing a tick? 

Ouch.

I told Jen I would be there ASAP. But first, I got online and did some quick research. Did you know that there are at LEAST three main ways people boast about removing ticks and all of them contradict the other?!?!?! After looking through a number of videos and reading comments by physicians, etc. and after praying about what to do, I drove over to Family Fare pharmacy to get a tweaser and some rubbing alcohol. 

When I arrived at Aidan's house, Jen had the situation more than under control (she is wonderful). I told her what I had found out. She had done a bit of research too and concluded the same thing I had! Thank you, Lord. She showed me the tick--which was THE largest tick I have ever seen--which was "lodged" behind Aidan's ear. We talked to Aidan about what was going to happen. He was very somber and a very good listener. The two of us (thank you for Jen, Lord!) comforted Aidan and then JEN removed the tick, following the careful instructions we had both agreed upon. The process took about 12-15 minutes. The tick's body was NOT underneath Aidan's skin, but its MOUTH was! It was very important to dislodge its mouth without traumatizing the tick (when ticks are "nervous" they vomit venom into the victim--!!). Jen was able to pull directly and firmly and dislodge the mouth of the tick without killing the tick! We put it into a jar and then used rubbing alcohol in and around the wound--which stung like crazy. Our poor dear Aidan was crying throughout, but he did NOT lose it or go into hysterics. He was super brave. I really felt the Lord with us, helping us to proceed with removing the tick and keeping Aidan calm. 

That's how Tuesday started ... but everything worked out! Here are some pictures from our time at my house. I did not get any pictures of the tick. I regret that because ... it was HUGE (for a tick), which probably means it had been ON Aidan for long enough to suck a lot of blood. Gross. 

On to happier things:

My imitation "Magnatiles" the best toy purchase I have ever made--being enjoyed by these kiddos all throughout our day today.
Below is "Baby Moses" (Brendan named him that years ago) riding our pink pony ...
Aidan requested all of the "gween rectangle cubes" from my Quibix bin and proceeded to build ...
When I asked him what he had made he answered, "It's a GWEEN tower, gwamma!" Well ... duh. 
Erin loves to build with all of these magnetic toys. She is a love.



We put a video on for a little while--something from Amazon (I think) about a little girl who wanted a dog for a pet ... anyway, the video slowed these two down long enough for me to catch my breath and get a few things done in the kitchen. Today was a sweltering, humid day and it was uncomfortable here inside. Severe weather had been forecasted, or I would have included some type of outdoor play.
We got out the Playdoh mid-afternoon, and these two had a blast with it for more than an hour. 
Aidan made a Christmas tree (blue) out of his blue Playdoh. I told him it looked like a Dr. Seuss Christmas tree, and he laughed.
Erin showing me her BLACK ball of Playdoh ...

Erin really enjoyed cutting and rolling and pretending with all of the different toys I have.
She is such a little sweetie ... look at those blue eyes of hers.
Her hair still has streaks of pink throughout (from her special day with her "Noona from church).

I remembered I had a bunch of mini-popsicle sticks and got them out to add to our play. Aidan became VERY serious about a building project ...
He worked and worked at this ... for the longest time ....

I finally asked him what it was he was constructing. He told me he was making a "woman's bathroom" (pronounced very distinctly) because they are "important."
I made a little snowman for Erin ...

It was a very fine afternoon. No major breakdowns. Aidan successfully used the potty 100% at my house. Yay, Aidan! 


No comments: