Saturday, August 10, 2019

Brendan sleeps over

Thursday Night into Friday, August 10:  It's truly been a LONG time since Brendan has had a sleepover at my house ... so we decided to FIX that and JUST DO IT.

We took Kaity home to her house at around 7:00, after a full afternoon of water play, eating, and hanging out. Brendan and I came back to my house where we played for a little while before getting ready for bed. I got out one of my comfy sleeping bags and got the front room all set up for Brendan to sleep.

We watched the first half of the first Harry Potter movie. Brendan is a big fan of Harry Potter. He has had the first three books read to him by his dad, and I believe he has seen the first three movies as well. 

I have only read the first book of the series ... and that was nearly 20 years ago. The author has an amazing imagination. I think I would have liked the book better had I not found it so dark! But really what bothered me, I think, was the "magic arts," "wizardry" and other kind of creepy stuff that I hesitate to get too involved with. Anyway, it was after 10:00 when Brendan was hugely yawning and clearly ready to sleep. We turned off the movie and talked for a little while. Then we prayed, "The Lord's Prayer" together (with Brendan asking me which direction was EAST so that he could face that way), and then I brought Paco (ButterSchmidt is his last name) to come and cuddle with Brendan while he was settling down to sleep. I think it took perhaps 10 minutes for Brendan to be soundly sleeping. I read quietly in my room for a little while and then fell asleep too. 

Brendan woke up just before 7am. We got up and had some cereal (Cinnamon Toast Crunch). THEN we played with Legos, beads, Matchbox cars, and a bunch of toys for quite awhile. I also told Brendan the wonderful story of ELIJAH the prophet on Mt. Carmel--the story of how the prophets of Baal tried to deceive people with "magic" and "trickery" but God won with fire from heaven! I told the story with a LOT of animation--Brendan was clearly interested ... it's such a great story.

 We decided we were hungry for donuts, so we packed up Brendan's stuff, took Paco with us, and drove across town to Marge's Donut Den. Sadly, I had neglected taking any pictures during our sleepover so I snapped a few at the donut place instead. Brendan ordered his usual favorite: chocolate covered with sprinkles.



Marge's is the best place in town to grab a donut ... or fresh-baked cookie ... or pie ... sometimes you can listen to a live band with your sweets ... it's a great place!

No comments: