Friday, August 30, 2019

Introducing the First Mate

Friday, August 30:  Well, well, well. Finally! After two weeks of wanting a bird, I purchased "Matey" here over at Casa La Parrot this afternoon and took him immediately home to the Beach House to his own little haven.
 This particular budgie bird is approximately three months old. Do you see the purple color over his beak? That indicates this bird is a male (hopefully). Males are more inclined to sing pretty songs, and they are able (in some cases) to learn a few words. I've heard that females chatter a bit, but they do not regularly sing; nor do they talk.
 The people at the parrot store were very kind and helpful. They gave me some written instructions for my dear budgie. I'm so excited to have him join me here at my little house.
 I had intended to get a very BLUE bird, because BLUE is Brendan's favorite color ... but if you look carefully, there is BLUE underneath his yellow feathers ... and he just seems so PERFECT for my little place, doesn't he?
 Okay, First Mate! You are going to LOVE it here! I am going to introduce you to all of the grandchildren. They will love you too! I can hardly wait until tomorrow to bring Kaity-Girl over! And Emma tomorrow night!
 Matey has been pretty quiet since I maneuvered him into his cage. He has used his little claws to climb up a few rungs on his bars, but nothing major. So far, he has not gone down either to his food dish or his water dish. I did take out one of those mallet branches and stuck part of one through the bars near his mouth and he took six bites! YES! 
 Presently, I have a half grape stuffed between his bars right by his face--he did open his mouth and I saw his little tongue--it looked like he was laughing at me! He did peck a little bit at the grape, so that's a good thing.
The pet shop folk told me it will take a little bit of time for Matey to get used to his surroundings. I won't pressure him. They did say it was a good idea to touch him every day so that he will get used to me and eventually to the grandchildren too. Won't that be fun? 

 I think you are going to be a beautiful pet, First Mate!
Welcome to the Beach House!

No comments: