Saturday, August 10, 2019

Captains of a Paddle Boat! Oh My!

Thursday, August 9:  After we finished our beach time, I asked Brendan if he was interested in trying out a paddle boat. "What's a paddle boat, Grandma?"
 Since Kaity had been ON a paddle boat for the very first time yesterday, I asked her to explain the boat to Brendan (as we were driving over to the boat house to rent our boat).

Kaity wanted to rent the very same one we had yesterday ... I don't think it's the same color, but Kaity was CERTAIN that it was! Good enough! We boarded our boat, and listen to this! Kaity asked Brendan if he wanted to be FIRST in the front of the boat (so that he could paddle) and then she would take a turn AFTER him. Good job, Kaity! You brought a huge smile to my face (and heart).
 We boarded our boat and launched it safely from the dock. Brendan and I were in front and Kaity was behind Brendan, giving directions (naturally) and generally having a blast. I was SO impressed with her patience. Brendan has been taking sailing lessons over on Reed's Lake, but a paddle boat is different from a sail boat in many ways! We steered our boat through this little opening (above) and headed out to sea ...
 Brendan was clearly delighted to be the captain. Look at his dear face! Isn't he the most darling boy you have ever laid eyes on? Ah well ... as his grandma, I can attest that HE IS!
 I turned to snap a picture of our impish Kaity ... oh man!
 I directed Brendan to "head for the island." Meanwhile, there was a duck that landed (I missed that shot) and Brendan was rather distracted by the duck and we ended up NOT heading for the island ...
 But interestingly, if I asked Brendan to "turn starboard," he would turn to the right! And if I asked him to turn "port side," he would turn the boat to the left. Good job, Brendan! Kaity soon learned these two terms as well.
 If someone had been operating a drone and watched Brendan's pathway to Duck Island (we named it that because the duck threw us off course), they would have seen many ZIGS and quite a few ZAGS ... but we made it!
 Look! There is Duck Island, close up! Quite a distance from the island, Kaity was itching to have her turn at the helm. I told her that when we made the turn at the base of the far end of Duck Island, she could take over being captain of our ship. 
 Captain Kaity at the helm!

 We cracked up as we were in our little boat. I LOVE BOATS! I do not care if they are only a 10 foot paddle boat in a little lake ... I am never happier than when I am ON THE WATER. We had so much fun out there. It was completely freeing ... liberating ... wonderful!

 When we returned to the Boat House inlet, we decided to have BOTH Kaity and Brendan pedal the boat and I would ride in the back. We boated the inlet for a little while, laughing at each other, watching the sun sparkle on the water, looking at the seagulls fly ...


 But finally, our time was running out and we had to return the boat to the dock.


 If anyone had made a filming of our docking of this paddle boat, it would probably have won an award for ... hilarious-ness!
But the deed was finally accomplished! We stepped out of our boat feeling abundantly happy and SO thankful for having enjoyed our time together.

No comments: