Monday, August 26, 2019

Emma moments

Saturday night/Sunday, August 24 & 25:  Emma has spent just about every Saturday night overnight at my house since mid-March or so. It is my favorite night of the week. I can't begin to put into words how much it means to spend time with Emma. Usually, our time together involves lots of laughing and sharing our thoughts with each other. Emma has become a "good friend" to me. I think she feels somewhat the same about me.

We have been doing a Bible study together on and off for perhaps six years now. We've covered the first five books of the Bible, Joshua and Judges, and then we did the life of Jesus mostly from Mark's Gospel, then we studied the early church in Acts. But for the last year or more, we've been studying the kings and the prophets. It's been super good for me to prepare our story each week--although I will be honest and tell you it is not EVERY single week that I get totally prepared to do a new story. This week was one of those weeks.
 A week ago Saturday night, Emma requested that we re-watch "Anne of Green Gables." I showed it to Emma and the boys the first summer they returned "home" to Michigan from Texas. But Emma had just turned 11 and although she did enjoy watching the series, she never requested to see it again ... until last week! I was very happy she did! I love this series SO MUCH. I'm just going to post a few pictures that I photographed from the internet (i.e. I pointed my camera at my computer and snapped).
 This is Anne in the early years, fresh out of the orphanage and then newly adopted by Marilla and Matthew. 
 Here are Gilbert and Anne now becoming friends ... but it's complicated.
 These are some great pictures of Gilbert. The actor that played this part actually suffered a heart attach about five years ago and died. This series was filmed in 1985 (34 years ago) when these actors (actresses) were probably in their early 20's.
 This is Gilbert talking to Anne after the Rollings Reliable episode ...
 Anne, all grown up and an accomplished teacher and author.
 And finally, Gilbert and Anne pledge their love!
It was really special to watch this series with Emma. L.M. Montgomery is my favorite author EVER. I grew up reading Anne and it means the world to me to have Emma love Anne too!

No comments: